Best way to add quick tuning to favorite channels

I thought I would ask here first before random experimenting…

What is the best way to add a method to quickly switch the channel on my TV to one of a few favorite channels?

I am using a DirecTV satellite hd dvr box controlled via IP and being able to quickly switch between 4 or 5 of my favorite channels would be very helpful.

Please note that I am not asking for something to use the DirecTV built-in “quick tune” or favorites command, just the best way to set up macros to automate the usual keypress of “1”, “2”, “3”, “Enter” for switching to channel 123, for example.

It would be really cool to have small icons or buttons that have the logo of the channel, like I have seen done on some Harmony or Crestron remotes, but text labels would be ok too.

Are you aware of the .CHANNEL SET command? You can tune channels much more directly with DirecTV using that rather than trying to simulate each digit. .CHANNEL SET takes the entire channel number at once as an instant change.

Thank you.

How does one use the .Channel Set? I’ve been wanting something like this as well.

1 Like

.CHANNEL SET is specific to certain IP devices such as DirecTV and TiVo. If your device supports it, it can be added to any command list or button just like any other command.

Thank you.

1 Like

What is the best way to do this?

For example, to I need to create a new activity that just says ‘Channels’ and add channels as buttons?

My preference would be to add a CHANNELS button to my DTV remote and have that create a POP UP screen with the channel logo buttons but I can’t seem to figure out how to do that.

please help. thanks.

1 Like

I’m looking for the same.