Custom Remote Backgrounds - Sizes?

Hi Roomie!

I have been playing with changing the background image on my customised remotes, however with varying level of success:

• Somtimes no change is reflected (possilby the image is small and sitting behind the remote template?)

• The background image is replaced sucessfully in both portrait and landscape modes

• The background image is updated, but it does not fill the whole screen (or fills the ‘ipad’ screen but not the full remote when you scroll down).

I have looked but not seen any guides on standard resolutions - but have been using iPad HD background images so expect this would be plenty large enough?

I have also ensured they are converted to *.png files, although they do show in my custom collection when *.jpg or *.png.

Can you please let me know if I need to look for a minimum size image or if I’m doing something wrong - particualry when ‘no’ image appears after applying a custom background?

Thanks!

Using an iPad screen size image will only work if your Virtual Remote is only that big. If your Virtual Remote is 3000 pixels high (with scrolling), you would need a 3000 pixel high image. The iPad screen size is 1024x768. There is no “correct” size because it depends on the size of your Virtual Remote.

No image is either that it is way too small, or uses the wrong format. Formats are discussed in the FAQ:

roomieremote.com/faq/#images

Thanks Roomie. I might being a bit thick but how then do you know the pixel size of each Virtual Remote?
I had referred to the FAQ and again confused on how one works out the correct size per the statement “Once you have the images you need in the proper format and size”.

I’ve got all images as PNG format and I understand the setup for Retina display, but that is not what I’m trying to achieve (just yet!).

The size of your Virtual Remote is indeterminate. And you might change or add to it at anytime. So just overcompensate in the vertical. If you know it’s always going to be small, you can just go with screen size. Otherwise, to handle even very large Virtual Remotes go with a vertical of 2000 or 3000 perhaps. It’s up to you.

Thanks but how can a virtual remote be so large - as in to allow 2000 or 3000 pixels high. Even a Desktop image is only 1920x1280 pixels for HD quality. I have an image this size which did not even appear when applied, yet I had another image of 1024 x 1024 pixels and it worked (just a little short on one side). Do dimensions matter (square vs rectangle images)?

Virtual Remotes scroll. They can be as tall as you want them to be. Horizontal dimensions would never need more than 1024 as VRs grow vertically.