Fireplace Control

Anyone using Roomie to do fireplace control? If so, I would assume you are using the iTach IP2CC. Is there a way to use that and also have local control? Thanks.

+1 on this. I have 2 fireplaces that have remote controls, wondering if I could integrate with Roomie?

I do this, but unfortunately it’s not as simple as IP2CC if you want local control (if you are content with Roomie-only control, then I am pretty sure IP2CC should work just fine).

The way I do it is using

<li>INSTEON IOLinc</li>
<li>INSTEON Mini Remote</li>
<li>Indigo (although you could probably use Vera or ISY as well)</li>

If that is a setup you’d consider, let me know and I can give in more detail how I set it up. Works great with the wall switch (Mini Remote, using a wall plate) and with Roomie.

I am fine with roomie only control except I need to be able to control it when the power goes out.

I have a double wall switch next to the fireplaces: one selects AUTO/MANUAL operation. The other is a simple ON/OFF, which only applies when you are in the MANUAL mode.

While I can’t draw the diagram here, the basic idea is as follows: have a small relay operate the actual fireplace connection. The relay is powered in turn by the CC signal or the ON/OFF switch.

You can have simpler implementation by just wiring a manual switch in parallel (shunt) to your CC device. However this will only allow you to force it ON (can’t turn it OFF when the CC is closed).
You could add addition switch in series, to force it OFF, thus avoiding the relay, but royally confusing the users in your house. Maybe labeling the switches FORCE ON and FORCE OFF? On the bright side this would still work when the line voltage is out.

Note that the fireplace switches require a fairly thick gauge wiring wince they operate on a really low milli voltage. If the wire is too thin it will not work or work erratically.

I’m using Roomie to control my Gazco Studio 2 fire, I’m using a Blaster, and iLearn to learn the IR codes. I only have on and off working so far, I’ve been unable to learn the up / down commands. I’ll post the IR codes if anyone wants them, although I believe Gazco code their remotes to their fireplaces so I’m not sure if they’ll work for anyone else.

Siobhan.