Insteon Gateway Hub

Don’t waste your money or your time with the Hub! I sent it back after 2 weeks of trying everything to get it to work the way it was advertised and replaced it with the ISY-994i. What a difference! Awesome response time and great features. The Smartlinc started my addiction to home automation and was “OK” but the ISY has satisfied every craving for control.

Outside the usa (canada?), the only controller available is the 2242 hub. (france, germany, uk and australia/new zealand)

Regards

I got it working. Using the 2412 as the device, I can program buttons to adjust the lights. There is no ability to toggle so I am having to use rocker switches for on/off and ‘buttons’ for preset dims, but it is working.

You also have to set the same command for each responder in the same circuit or the responders will be visually out of sync on their status lights.

The latest Hub and software (1.4) seems VERY stable to me. Using the app, I get the controller ID and use that in Roomie.

I wish it were more feature rich, such as feedback and toggle, but it’s a great start.

CONFIRMED WORKING!

As a non US user, support for the 2242 hub would be much appreciated. I have a mixture of X10 and Insteon devices and, although they all work using HouseLinc software and Insteon iOS app. I cannot manage them in RoomieRemote.

Many thanks

I’ve been able to connect ot the Insteon Hub as a custom Device/smartLinc.

I can turn on off lights not problem, but I can’t figure out how to turn on scenes. The Roomie is asking for a scene number, but nothing seems to work there.

Also, I tried the to connect a button to the command “.INSTEON COMMAND”, but can’t figure out the format of the “Parameter 1” string. is it the whole sequence (i.e. 02 62 a1 b2 c3 0f 11 ff, to turn on device a1b2c3 to level 255?) or something else?

I only really need to toggle a few scenes turn n/off a few devices, I don’t need full house control or anything (think like dim the lights in the family room for movie watching, turn on power to the video game consoles, etc)

I found the scene numbers by using HouseLink. I can now enable scenes, as well at toggle light, etc. from within Roomie.

However it is very inconsistent. It will work perfectly sometimes, but other times it requires me to press the button 3-4 times to get a response form the light or appliance link.

When I use the Insteon app on my iPhone, the response is 100% every time, so the Hub can see and talk to everything fine.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

I still can’t get mine to work at all. This is how I am adding it to roomie:

1 - Add device / Manual IP / 192.168.1.15 <hubs IP and port 80

2 - Lighting Device / SmartLinc

3 - Default Device (entered the 6 digit code that is assigned to the light I want to control - I got this from the insteon app)

4 - Entered the correct (confirmed) username and password for the insteon account.

Test - Nothing - tried all interval options - Nothing

Insteon app works perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Yes. You need to set the port to the one that the insteon hub uses.

Try port 25101. If it doesn’t work I’m sure a quick search will tell you if that’s not the default.

Set type as insteon lighting smartlinc.

@beefy1001:You might need to set the username and password (at the very bottom of the smartlink remote set up page) by default mine was set to 'admin" with the password set to the hub Insteon address (no periods between the letter/numbers)

Also, the “default” remote did not work. I made a custom remote, and added buttons with “light on” commands ,etc. For each one you set the Insteon device address.

add me to the list of those who’d like direct support for the insteon hub.

We have an Insteon Hub in house now. We can confirm that it works as an Insteon SmartLinc 2412n. However, feedback does not work with it.

To configure it now, add the device via Manual IP on port 25105, type is Automation, brand Insteon, category SmartLinc. Enter username “admin” and password is your Insteon Hub address as printed on your hub without any punctuation.

The “Default Device” field can be used to create a simple Virtual Remote (this is how lighting devices worked before Roomie implemented manifests for everything). Make sure to use no punctuation when entering Insteon addresses for this device.

Feedback can be fixed in a future release. At this time however, it still looks like it has the same limitations of the Insteon 2412N which are that (1) there is no way to get bulk feedback on multiple devices at the same time which means getting status feedback on many lights at the same time is not going to work, (2) there is no way to get a list of connected Insteon devices so you need to input Insteon addresses directly for any command, and (3) the Insteon Hub cannot be auto-discovered.

We have queried Insteon to determine whether they plan any improvements in these areas. Meanwhile, the instructions above allow all basic commands such as LIGHT ON, LIGHT OFF, and similar commands to work now.

Thank you.

Hello - I really want to make Roomie my ONLY remote for all of my home theater and home automation needs, however, I cannot seem to get the Insteon Hub to work at all based on your instructions. I know you’re not big fans, but it works flawless for me with its controllers and the app.

Looking at your instructions, I’ve set the IP address and Port correctly. The Device Type is Automation, Insteon and Smartlinc. I have a question about the Default Device, should this be the Lamp Dimmer or the Hub ID?

Also, you suggest that the user name should be admin and the password should be the Hub’s address minus the punctuation. I’ve taken a look at the settings in my Hub app and the user name is listed as “axbWWKAoap” and the password is not visible but it does not look long enough to be the Hub address.

I’ve tried tweaks here and there with the info I have for the Hub and Dimmers and login info, but there’s still no response from the Hub and/or lights… does anyone have this working properly at all? Any workarounds or something I’m missing?

Thanks,

Cory

At some point Insteon changed the username and password set up on the hub.

Set the password to whatever you want in the official Insteon Phone app, then use that and the name shown in the app (“axbWWKAoap” in your case) in the Roomie app.