Replace Slow Redeye Pro

Hi there, I have a redeye Pro unit as my controller to manage all my IR/Serial and IP connectivity. However, the app isn’t as quick as Roomie. I have used Roomie in my office space w/Global Cache products and it’s quick and simple.

I was wondering if it is possible for me to use the Roomie Remote with my Redeye Pro unit. Rather than having to replace the redeye pro unit that I paid a lot of money for and switch to a global cache device.

Since the RedEye is accessible through IP I would figure the Roomieremote will find it on the network.

Please let me know if that is possible.

Thank you!

We have no plans for support of that device at this time. We might add it in the future, but as a note we generally service such requests by the number of users asking for something which (so far) this is our first recorded request for this.

I have same issue with Redeye Pro. I have ordered my Globel Cache products and are arriving today. Really looking forward to setup tonight. Just the ease of control for iTunes. Fantastic just that alone. So simple is the RoomieRemote.

So very disappointed with the RedEye Pro. The lack of updates and the will to correct issues in a timely manner is driving me away.

Please add me to the list of people who would like an alternative to the lackluster Redeye software.

I’m happy to have my RedEye Pro sitting on my shelve for now. Roomie has simplified my needs. I have multiple rooms and many devices. GC itec products are the way to go.

Hi all,

I have the same setup with the Redeye Pro and I have managed successfully to interface the Roomie Remote with it. The solution I have works exceptionally well, for the most part.

The Redeye has an external API that an outside controller can use to control the unit – it is described in its Advanced Programming Manual. As such, what needs to happen is that the Roomie must send a set of IP (http) commands to make the Redeye control a device, launch an activity etc. In this regard, the Redeye has some major pluses. First, the IR learning in the Redeye is pretty good, and it is easy to set up and store the IR commands for any new device – their device library is not that great in my opinion. The Redye also allows multiple controllers to attach to the device and tracks state, so you do not have to worry about some IP controlled devices (like the Tivo) which fail if more than one Roomie try to control it simultaneously. As such the Redye provides a seamless gateway for doing all this. The biggest negative with the Redeye is that for a device with 2-way serial control, you have to write all the scripts to monitor feedback. To avoid doing that, I recommend using the iTach serial to control the device and have both the Redeye and the Roomie talk to it – the Redeye to send the initiation/termination commands and the Roomie to monitor feedback, set volume etc.

The easiest way to actually BUILD the Roomie interface to the Redeye is to use the Redeye’s commands for introspection where it can tell you its devices, commands etc when you send it certain http commands. If you get this list, what you can do is to create a Roomie device file that essentially sets up a bunch of Redeye devices that are immediately available then to the Roomie. These devices would include of course the various components controlled by the Redeye, along with a separate Redeye device to lauch the vaious activities. One you have the Redeye devices in your Roomie device list, you can go ahead and configure the Roomie remote as usual. The major difference is you no longer rely on Roomie’s IR database and only rely on its user interface. Any command sent from the Roomie is interpreted by the Redeye which sends the appropriate commands to the device controlled in question.

The process above is much simpler than it sounds. Virtually all of the work to create the Redeye devices, commands etc can be automated with simple scripts in Python. I have done so, and can generate my Roomie front-end to the Redeye backend in a matter of minutes. And when it all works (which it does most times…with some occasional hiccups) it really is the best control system I have yet worked with.

And by the way, where it comes to the Redeye, I should point out that the device really is an outstanding product. It can do a lot of things at a price point that is remarkable. While its user interface is less than stellar it DOES manage to reflect device state successfully across ALL control panels which is something that Roomie cannot really do except somewhat with iCloud integration. If Roomie provided the user more control of the interface (multiple screens per device, better layout control etc) and if someone made a hard button iPod/iPad embedded remote that is user programmable (not Savant which restricts its overpriced remotes to its own hardware) I think we could be in home automation Nirvana with the Roomie/Redeye setup.

Nandu

Nandu: thanks for posting this. This is exactly the info I was looking for. I’ll buy the Roomie software based on what you posted.

Nandu/wgscott,

With Redeye being shutdown, I’m trying to do the same thing you are. I want to Roomie to send the commands over IP to the Redeye unit to control the devices in my setup.

Did either of you get this working? I’ve gotten the Redeye to give me the device output using the ReST APIs, but I’m confused as to how to build the RoomieCode.plist files now.

Can someone explain a little more in detail what to do?

Thx!

Nandu ,

I was impressed with what you had accomplished regarding Redeye Pro.

Considering the cost I find it very interesting how you managed to wright code or plists that the Roomie can point to.

I would say that if you are happy for the most part on how you did it that some people may be interested in purchasing a config file showing how you did it. Even if it was 50 to 100$ That would make up for the recycle bin for useless Red eye pro devices out there . The Pro was not to bad via network connectivity but it can be a bit slow to respond .I think from what I went through it is all up to the wireless network in the home that causes drop outs and slow response time .

Any thing that you can share with all of us is greatly appreciated .

Even myself ( and by no means am I a hard core programmer ) i at least understand what you figured out .

Great effort

Cheers

Hello Stephen,

I am happy to make the code I have written for the Redeye Pro to interface to the Roomie Remote available. It is written in python, and will simply generate a Roomie plist file that you can incorporate into the Roomie system. You need of course to make sure that any other devices you have set up (outside the Redeye) are preserved in your plist file because the Python code I have generates a new Roomie file.

Once you have the plist file my code generates, and load that into Roomie, all the Redeye activities and devices will appear there and can be added just like iTach devices.

Give me some time to dig up my Python scripts and modify them so that they can be used in a generic environment different from my setup. I am happy to provide them to all of you, obviously without warranties of any kind. I have no desire to charge for these scripts assuming they are used for non-commercial purposes. The only thing I would request is that anyone who modifies/improves them be willing to post the revised scripts back here so that all of us can benefit from any improvements that might be made.

Will try to post the scripts in about a week.

Nandu

Hi all,
Sorry for the long delay in putting up the code I said I would in my last post. Unfortunately, my Redeye Pro conked out on me, and as such I have had my hands full replacing it!
In any event, here is the Python code that will automatically generate the Roomie plist file from the Redeye directly. To use it, do the following:

1. Edit the main invocation in the python program to make the Redye function call with the IP address or DNS name of the Redeye in your local network (both in string form i.e an IP would be ‘192.168.1.10’ for example). The program will take care of the rest.

2. The Roomie plist file you generate will be based on JUST the Redeye pro unit’s devices and configuration. So, if you want to replace your Rooomie file, remember ALL your custom devices etc WILL be lost unless you manually edit the Redeye generated plist file and add in the appropriate devices you added into Roomie. I would suggest therefore STARTING with the Roomie plist file this Python program generates. This will give you the Redeye devices in Roomie. Then work with this in Roomie and add any other devices etc. That way, you won’t screw up your Roomie devices.

3. The Python code will set up a “Redeye” device (in addition to the devices set up in the Redeye) whose commands are just START and STOP routines for every activity in the Redeye. Thus, you can treat the Redeye itself as a controllable remote device and allow it to manage state while you use the Roomie as a launcher for the activities.

4. I would suggest you START and STOP all activities through the Redeye using the commands generated by (3) above. Do not use device commands directly to start/stop activities. This will allow the Redeye to track state and it does that very well indeed.

This code comes with NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND NOR WITH ANY SUPPORT. It is meant to help those who are quite skilled at using Python and understand the Redeye and Roomie interfaces well. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you do not use it correctly, you can easily ruin your Roomie configuration by screwing up your plist files.

My only request is that anyone who uses the code and makes modifications/improvements to it post it back here for everyone’s collective benefit. I hope some of you at least find this code helpful.

Best,

Nandu

PS: Updated now with zip file for python code.

Hi Nandu,

I’m very anxious to give this a try because this is going to save me a lot of time. I have several Redeye units and, combined with Roomie, am very happy with them.
But I have no experience with Python scripts.
I figured out how to run this script but obviously I have te edit the IP adres to that of my own Redeye Pro.
Can you please tell me where’s the main invocation? Or tell me which value I have te replace with my IP adress.

Thanks in advance!

Jean