Roomie Initiated PC Reboot Suggestions Needed

Any suggestions on how i could get Roomie to reboot my Media Center PC as part of an activity?

I’m able to write a batch file or vbs script to do the actual reboot on the PC but the remote call is where i am struggling at present.

I also know that i could setup a scheduled task when a specific system event is written, but not sure if i could somehow write to the event log using a webpage which could be called from Roomie. I would prefer not to setup a web server on the PC.

Use MCE Controller and edit the .commands file to point the shutdown command to a .bat file on your system drive to force shutdown (or restart or sleep). You can find more specifics about MCE Controller in the FAQ.

Thanks jkirk. I’ve installed and added it to my Roomie setup. However, how do I call a StartPorcess command from the remote?

I’ve added an entry in my mcecontols.commands file as follows:

(My batch file does a forced restart with 0 second timeout as I have some other stubborn applications that dont gracefully want to quit with a normal restart, hence I cant use the built in function of Restart within MCE)

Not sure how to call Init from my Roomie? Thanks.

In order to call a custom command like your ‘Init’ from Roomie you would have to ask tech support to sent you the plist file for the Microsoft Media Player. Then you can edit this file (using XCode or similar) to include a custom command. Then you would have to upload this to Dropbox and sync your iOS device configuration.

There is a FAR easier way - fortunately.

In the .commands file change your existing command to:

There should already be a StartProcess command for shutdown in the existing .commands file. I would locate this and modify it rather than enter your own.

Then just call the shutdown command from the Microsoft Media Player already programmed into Roomie.

Thanks, I much prefer Option 2! I’ll give it try in a bit (Media PC is doing a 2TB data transfer at the moment so dont want to reboot just yet)

To confirm the current format would be

But should now look like this?

Thanks for the assist.

You got it.

Just to be safe I would also run through the .commands file and delete any additional commands that reference ‘restart’ - just to rule out any conflicts.

Works like a charm! Thank you.