Samsung TV Power on

Has Samsung said anything at CES 2015 about allowing Power On via IP? I noticed they talked about being able to control their TV’s via SmartThings eventually so maybe there is the possibility of them implementing it.

We will ask when we get to their booth Thursday, but by default assume they don’t know.

Our experience is that Samsung does not typically staff their booth with staff trained to answer technical questions. In the end, for the several major brands, we assume we just need to buy one every single year to check it thoroughly.

There are as we have noted on Twitter some very significant signs that this may well be the year Samsung finally joins everyone else in the IP control (with power) world. They have issued PR that their new TV OS Tizen supports streaming “even when the TV is off”. It’s safe to say if they turn the Ethernet port on while the TV is off and accept connections, it would be nothing short of brain-dead to prevent turning the TV itself on via IP especially when their competitors like Sony are putting true IP control literally at the very top of their feature lists. Who knows. After so many years of Samsung lagging behind everyone else on this front, it’s almost hard to believe they have finally come around, but certainly there have never been such overwhelming signs that this is the year. Because of the positive signs, it’s safe to say we’ll be trying to get our hands on one ASAP. Typically it is at least March/April before they begin to filter into real channels.

Thank you.

As predicted, Samsung booth just doesn’t have staff equipped to answer such questions – we got some pretty strange looks using big words like “IP” and “control”. The TVs are certainly pretty though. LG and Samsung will both be worth a retest this year to look for IP Power capabilities when models hit the street. As usual, looks like Sony is all good and leading the pack. Sharp will be worth a quick retest this year to make sure nothing changed as they did make some significant OS changes on their TVs.

Thank you.

I just helped a friend setup Roomie. We had two problems - he had a new Samsung TV and an IR only cable box.

He didn’t want to get involved with an iTach. I told him it wasn’t that hard, but…

The Samsung came with an IR extender which is basically a blaster, which we put in front of the cable box.

It works quite well via Roomie to control the cable box.

For power on, the Samsung supports voice command, “Hi TV. Power On.” turns it on.

After that, Roomie controls the TV, including power off.

He’s now very happy with Roomie and so is his wife.

All the OEM remotes are now stored away.

Same issue here. Just got a new Samsung 4K 55" and doesn’t power on via IP. Using a Roomie Blaster and it works fine.

Irony is Samsung made a big PR blitz at CES 2015 claiming that in 2 years, 90% of EVERYTHING they make will connect to networks. Had to laugh as from my point of view, I don’t care if they decide to connect a fridge or toaster oven to the Internet, just make your TV’s frigging power-on work via IP!