Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Power On Problems

We just set this up with a 590 and Wake on LAN works great via Wi-Fi. There is however one trick. The player mis-reports its MAC address always as its Ethernet MAC. So if you have connected the player via Wi-Fi, you must manually enter the Wi-Fi MAC into the +WAKE ON LAN command in your Start Commands list. The correct Wi-Fi MAC address is listed on the BDP under Setup->Internet Settings->View Network Status->MAC Address. When you enter the Wi-Fi MAC into the command, it works.

“We just set this up with a 590 and Wake on LAN works great via Wi-Fi. There is however one trick. The player mis-reports its MAC address always as its Ethernet MAC. So if you have connected the player via Wi-Fi, you must manually enter the Wi-Fi MAC into the +WAKE ON LAN command in your Start Commands list. The correct Wi-Fi MAC address is listed on the BDP under Setup->Internet Settings->View Network Status->MAC Address. When you enter the Wi-Fi MAC into the command, it works.”

thought Id add my experience with this situation – this solution did not work for me when I performed my initial setup. I gave up on wi-fi and hardwired my 590.

I left the +wake on LAN address field blank and the 590 has worked flawlessly to date.

cheers

If you wire it directly, definitely do not enter the MAC address as Roomie handles it automatically.

If you are using Wi-Fi, there was probably a formatting issue with the MAC. Note the format shown in the field before you type it in. No dashes, no colons, no spaces. Just the MAC digits itself.

I had initially added the MAC address with the colons (:), later I noticed the input mask (example) in the MAC address field in roomie wake on LAN command within the play blu ray activity. I entered the address as per the MAC address in the bdp network status screen, but this time no colons (:). Works like a charm now.

If you are using Wi-Fi, there was probably a formatting issue with the MAC. Note the format shown in the field before you type it in. No dashes, no colons, no spaces. Just the MAC digits itself.

Now this would have been helpful to think of.

I just got the BDP-S790 and it registered fine with Sony then I have full control and wake on lan for the 790.

I’ve tried everything mentioned above to get my Sony BDP-S580 to power on, to no avail.

I’m using wi-fi, and I’ve entered the player’s correct MAC address into the +Wake On LAN command (without colons).

Since there’s an automatic power-on command for the Blu-Ray player (for this activity), it’s unclear whether the +Wake On LAN command should appear before or after that command. Common sense seems to dictate that the Wake command should appear first in the list, so I moved the Power On command below it. But that doesn’t work. (I’ve tried it both ways.)

There’s one setting, however, that I cannot find in the BDP’s settings:

“Set the “remote start” to “on” in network setting screen of the bdp-s790”

Since I have the BDP-S580, it’s unclear whether that feature, on my model, is called something else, is located elsewhere, or is simply unavailable. It’s hard to believe it would be omitted, but stranger things have happened.

I’ve spent hours chasing this, and needless to say, I’m frustrated. All suggestions are welcome. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

The 580 does not have the 590 Wake on LAN functionality. Here is the IP Compatibility List:

roomieremote.com/ip-compatibility/

The Wake on LAN models are the 590 and 5100 (we believe the 790 may also have WoL but haven’t confirmed that) per the text there: “Wake-on-LAN Models: BDP-S5100 (2013), BDP-S590 (2012) Other models no power via IP.”

Thank you.

OK. Thanks.

The compatibility list says:

Sony BRAVIA Sync (HDMI CEC) can be used for power if available.

Can you please elaborate on the method to enable this? I’ve enabled the related option in the Blu-Ray player’s settings (e.g., “Control for HDMI” — is set to “on.”)

Is there more that must be done in Roomie? Special commands? Or should the activity’s TV-Power-on command automatically be passed along to the Blu-Ray player?

CEC support in TVs and Receivers is at best a roll of the dice. First assume it will not work at all and then you will usually be right.

Meanwhile, if CEC does work, which sometimes happens, exactly how it is supposed to work is up for debate – for instance whether the TV powers on a device or a device powers on a TV or both. That will depend on your devices and exactly how they’re configured.

Thank you.