Unlimited Perpetual License - no longer family sharing?

Hello,

I purchased an Unlimited Perpetual license a few years ago and all was great with sharing to the other 3 ipads in the house.

Now Roomie is asking for a subscription on the other ipads and not allowing sharing of the purchase.

Is this correct with the new licence or am I doing something wrong ?

Kind Regards

Jason

First, you may see a change in this behavior as soon as today as we have been activating the Apple side of Family Sharing more widely as part of upgrading each legacy subscription. Rather than deprecate the V6 subscriptions (Unlimited Perpetual started is from that era, though is not a subscription), we’re increasing their features, adding Family Sharing, and matching their pricing to the modern subscriptions from V7 all of which already support Family Sharing. (Note that Family Sharing didn’t exist when the original subscriptions were created.) This transition will occur over the course of several months. Unlimited Pro Subscription (V6) is already upgraded so is now exactly the same as such a subscription from V7. Unlimited Perpetual was just upgraded. (Note pricing of Unlimited Perpetual is currently unchanged, but will be going up soon.)

Over the years, we’ve built multiple ways to extend subscriptions to Family or Guests outside the Apple system, but in general it’s very preferable to use the Apple system as it makes more sense to users and is easier for them to manage.

The one remaining exception in the current version that goes outside Family Sharing now is called Guest Sharing. This feature was implemented in a completely different way in V7 than V8. Unlimited Perpetual and Unlimited Pro Subscription support Guest Sharing. In preparation for a major upcoming new feature that will allow instant sharing of homes in the Unlimited levels without the heavyweight Sharing required today, the new V8 Guest Sharing is based entirely off your local network.

Guest Sharing candidates must be on the local network. Your Primary Controller must be configured as documented in the Setup Guide (on charger, in foreground (or simply not sleeping on macOS), [optional: Guided Access active, Ethernet connected]), and that Primary Controller device must be logged in using the the sub/perpetual owner Apple ID. A few seconds after opening the app, any Roomie home shared via the Sharing button in the Homes panel and activated to the same home as the Primary Controller on the same network will operate in Unlimited mode for that home. Note that client must remain in contact with said Primary Controller in order to maintain said access.

Hi Will,

Thanks so much for the detailed and prompt update.

As you suggested, things started to happen over the weekend for my install of Roomie.

1. My “Unlimited Perpetual” primary controller licence now says “Active Subscription”. However, I’m not sure what subscription level it is. Is there a way to find out?

2. Also after looking at the subscription levels table, am I right to say that there is no more perpetual licenes any more ? Only subscription? I didn’t grasp what was meant by ‘min 3 years after purchase’?

3. My other ipads / iphones are now asking for subscription licences. Family sharing / Guest sharing does not seem to be working. Is there any details on how to configure 'Guest Sharing" please? I have setup the Primary Controller with the correct Apple ID in Guided Access Mode. Also family sharing was working perfectly before (as was guided mode)

I suppose the better question would be … if I was an Unlimited Perpetual Licence owner before … do I need to buy anything in the new licence world to make things work like before (one ipad as primary controller and 4/5 guest ipads/iphones that used family sharing)

Kind Regards

Jason

If you have a non-perpetual subscription, that is managed in Apple’s Settings app.

Perpetual is still for sale and there is no plan to change that, though as I mentioned the price is going up soon.

Number 3 is what was covered in my previous post. If you own any Unlimited, subscription or not, your proposed scenario will work fine in the context of what I said above.